With proper care, your hardwood furniture can look beautiful for years to come. Here are some tips to ensure your heirloom quality of your furniture lasts:
Pertaining to All Furniture
- Upon receiving your furniture please unwrap all pieces as soon as possible. In the weeks following delivery, your furniture will continue to cure and adjust to your home environment.
- Maintain the humidity in your home within a 35%-45% range in order to prevent warping and cracking.
- If possible, keep your furniture out of direct sunlight or direct heat sources such as furnace vents, heaters, and fireplaces. Heat can cause your furniture to dry out and potentially crack over time.
- To clean your furniture, mild soap and water is recommended. If you want to use a polish, avoid products that contain silicone or wax; these will cause a build-up that might make it impossible for refinishing your piece in the future. Also, apply and buff polish along the natural grain.
- Avoid putting rough or sharp items on your furniture as these can potentially scratch the surface.
- Avoid the use of nail polish remover or other harsh solvents by your furniture.
Pertaining to Tables
- We recommend using a tablecloth or placements in the first couple weeks following delivery as your table is still curing and adjusting to your home.
- If you purchased leaves with your table, store leaves in the same room as your table. Do not store leaves in an attic or basement where room temperatures may drastically vary. Use a leaf storage bag for optimal protection.
- For frequent entertaining or large gatherings, consider using a table pad to help prevent scratches and dents.
- If the table is often used without the matching leaves, we recommend using a table cloth or other protective surface for daily use. Excessive rubbing and wiping can cause the sheens to vary between the table and leaves.
- We do not recommend using glass to protect your table top. But, if you choose to, we recommend maintaing a gap between the glass and table top for airflow.
Pertaining to Upholstered Pieces
If you have ordered an upholstered piece of furniture, it is important to follow the cleaning instructions for your specific type of upholstery. The following cleaning codes will tell you how to safely clean your upholstery.
We also recommend treating your upholstery with a stain resistant product. Keep leather upholstery conditioned using a leather conditioner.
- WS - Water Solvent Cleaner: Spot clean with a mild solvent, and upholstery shampoo or the foam from a mild detergent. When using a solvent or dry cleaning product, follow the instructions carefully and clean only in a well-ventilated room. Avoid any product that contains carbon tetrachloride or other toxic materials.
- S - Solvent Cleaner: Spot clean using a mild water-free solvents or dry cleaning product. Clean only in a well-ventilated room and avoid any product that contains carbon tetrachloride or other toxic materials.
- W- Water-Based Cleaner: Spot clean using the foam only from a water-based cleaning agent such as a mild detergent or non-solvent upholstery shampoo product. Apply foam with soft brush in a circular motion. Vacuum when dry.
Accidents happen. If damage occurs to a piece of your furniture, we recommend contacting a local re-finisher or upholstery expert to discuss alternatives. Hardwood requires special care and attention. However, for small nicks or scratches, we recommend using the products sold in our Furniture Care Kit